Thursday, October 7, 2010

M.I.T.

The school journey to Kelly, WY this past week has felt like an intensive M.I.T. (Mother in Training) session. I was up several times a night changing urine drenched sheets, wiping up wet bathroom floors, convincing kids to try new foods, checking lunch boxes for appropriate nutritional consumption, giving basic medical care (TLC and sympathy), tracking down the owner of a lost sock, calming bedtime tears, reading out loud long past "lights out", and celebrating small successes (like rolling up a sleeping bag or packing a field pack). All of this adventure left me so tired that last night, I answered the "Oh! How far along on your pregnancy are you?" question with "5 weeks! . . . Uh, months." Then I ended the day with a giant gigglefest with Bear (frightened by lightening), Rio, and Jacob all trying to snuggle/smother me in the bed.
Now, hopefully I'll never have 30 children approximately the same age, but something about my pregnancy and this journey gave me a new perspective into the multifaceted duties of motherhood and an even deeper understanding that I have NO idea about the true journey ahead of me.

Fort building in the Aspen community

No comments:

Post a Comment