Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Smile!

Smile. Cry. Ask lots of questions. Make some inappropriate jokes. Get goop all over the only summer skirt that still fits. Drown in curiosity. Marvel.

Yep, yesterday we had our ultrasound. Here we are in the 19th week, and, as obvious as it is that something is going on in there, it was absolutely astounding to me to get the guided tour of my uterus and catch a glimpse at the most special baby in the entire world. Although we had to wait about 45 minutes for our appointment, once we were in there, I loved every minute of it! Now, I know that looking at the pictures, the blueberry looks just like every other baby, but when I think about that fact that that little face and that complete spine is swimming around in there . . . it's just a miracle. BTW, my uterus is now the size of a honeydew and the doc said the baby is about 12 inches long and REALLY skinny. Naturally, that makes me thing of a carnival foot-long hot dog (yum!). The ultrasound process felt a lot like the Magic Eye posters where you're just supposed to let your eyes relax and everything will become clear. That didn't really work for me, but when the doc first brought up the image, there was the blueberry, mouth WIDE open. Later, s/he was sitting breech and cross-legged (or as mom would say, "Kerplunk"). Every once in a while a tiny hand or foot would breeze across the screen, A-MAZING. Besides a somewhat low placenta, everything else is totally on track for our healthy baby. Finally, although Jacob has his guesses after "seeing" the ultrasound, we stuck to our guns and did not find out the gender of the baby. (Tesha, please don't call and harass the doctor, we warned him you might be calling.)

Question of the week:
Seriously, what do you think about ultrasound photos?

2 comments:

  1. If i remember correctly, your doctors name is Dr. Gustophson. Him and I go way back....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kjera and Jacob,
    I read each word with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. I love you both.

    xoxo
    Dad/Greg/Grandpa

    ReplyDelete